Since My So-Called Life and Dawson’s Creek, TV has been one way that I discover new music. Things have changed a lot since the mid-90s and now you can have access to a song within minutes of hearing it on a show. MTV no longer has the influence it once did and the days of spending hours watching music videos have long gone, though MTV is still represented on this 2012-2013 playlist. Some shows like Girls, New Girl and The Carrie Diaries (it turns out I really like the music from the pilot) feature more than once on the list and there are 19 tracks that represent a variety of moments; some incidental while others might drastically change a relationship.
While I’m not going to into specific reasons for each song choice some deserve explanation; “Stay” by Lisa Loeb has featured on both Girls and New Girl, Lisa Loeb ended up with Rufus Humphrey on Gossip Girl so this sealed its inclusion (plus I was a teen in the mid-90s so this song will always hold a special place). When I first saw The Americans pilot I mentioned on Twitter that I like the ‘jaunty’ opening track revealing that I know nothing about Fleetwood Mac (I’m hanging my head in shame), now I understand the power of “Tusk.” The LMFAO track is from one of my favorite moments on Parks and Recreation this season when Anne and Leslie had their impromptu dance party. Ellie Goulding earns her place for being part of a huge New Girl moment and the same applies for The Vaccines “I Always Knew.” Some tracks feature from shows that I haven’t seen all season (How I Met Your Mother, Awkward) or only saw a few episodes (Nashville) but were suggestions from some lovely folk on Twitter.
I’m sure there are some great tracks that I haven’t included so what would be on your 2012-13 TV playlist?
Here are the tracks featured, including which show/episode they were on and you can click on the Spotify box below to listen. Enjoy!
1) I Love It – Icona Pop ft. Charli XCX (Girls 2.03 “Bad Friend”)
2) Blue Monday – New Order (The Carrie Diaries 1.01 “Pilot”)
3) Tusk – Fleetwood Mac (The Americans 1.01 “Pilot”)
4) I Always Knew – The Vaccines (New Girl 2.25 “Elaine’s Big Day”)
5) Burning Down the House – Talking Heads (The Carrie Diaries 1.01 “Pilot”)
6) Black Tambourine – Beck (The Good Wife 4.22 “What’s in the Box?”)
7) Super Rich Kids – Frank Ocean ft. Earl Sweatshirt (Gossip Girl 6.05 “Monstrous Ball”)
8) Party Rock Anthem – LMFAO ft. Lauren Bennett (Parks and Recreation 5.05 “Halloween Surprise”)
9) Bad Girls – M.I.A. (The Mindy Project 1.01/1.24 “Pilot” and “Take me with You”)
10) Anything Could Happen – Ellie Goulding (New Girl 2.23 “Virgins”)
11) Don’t Leave Me (Ne Me Quitte Pas) – Regina Spektor (Girls 2.04 “It’s a Shame About Ray)
12) 22 – Taylor Swift (New Girl 2.13 “Table 34”)
13) Simple Song – The Shins (How I Met Your Mother 8.24 “Something New”)
14) Nancy From Now On – Father John Misty (Girls 2.05 “One Man’s Trash”)
15) Stay – Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories (Girls 2.04 “It’s a Shame About Ray” and New Girl 2.23 “Virgins”)
16) Girls Just Want To Have Fun – Greg Laswell (The Carrie Diaries 1.01 “Pilot”)
17) Fade Into You – Clare Bowen and Sam Palladio (Nashville 1.03 “Someday You’ll Call My Name”)
18) Gone – Olivia Broadfield (The Vampire Diaries 4.23 “Graduation”)
19) I Was a Fool – Tegan and Sara (Awkward 3.05 “Indecent Exposure”)